Friday

Top Romantic Movies #15 - If Only

If Only (2004)
His love for her forced fate to change


This movie in my romantic movies list makes me cry the hardest. I don’t know if it is because of the death theme, or the second life chance theme or the theme that guys always treat girls as materials and girls just wanted to be loved but in the end, guys realize their mistakes. No matter what, this movie makes me cry the hardest and I recommend watching it with a box of tissue. This will surely capture your heart and make you love your special someone even more.

“If Only” chronicles a day in the life of Samantha (Jennifer Love Hewitt), a precocious American (aren’t they all?) studying music in London, and her boyfriend Ian (Paul Nicholls), a somewhat stuffy (aren’t they all?) financial something-or-rather. I was never really clear what it was that Ian did, not that it matters much. As the day begins, Ian is nonchalantly chalking up negative points by forgetting important dates and just generally acting like a tool toward his sympathetic girlfriend, who seems to want nothing from him except to love him, and be loved in return.

At the end of the night, everything comes to a head, as the two abruptly calls it off and Samantha promptly enters a cab that gets broadsided, killing her. It’s only then that Ian realizes what he had, but of course it’s too late to make amends. Luckily for the grieving boyfriend, when he wakes up the next morning, Samantha is alive again. Even stranger, he’s reliving that fateful day, and he’s the only one who remembers it!

All of this takes place within the first 30 minutes, setting the stage for the film’s final hour, which follows Ian as he battles confusion, followed by realization, becomes lost in desperation, and finally discovers acceptance of what’s happened, and will happen. Armed with the knowledge of the day’s events, Ian resolves to save Samantha’s life using his knowledge of the day’s upcoming events. But fate will not be denied, and for every negative event Ian averts, a similar negative event takes its place later on in the day. How do you fight destiny? The answer seems to lie with a mysterious taxi driver (Tom Wilkinson, soon to be seen in the upcoming “Batman Begins”), whose only advise to Ian is to “appreciate” Samantha.

Why I Chose This:
This movie on my list makes me cry the hardest. Do I need to say more? I felt it. From beginning to the end. Frame by frame it makes me want to love my boyfriend even more. This is just a very perfect movie for Girls, but guys might not appreciate this as this movie is a very effective tearjerker. I recommend girls to watch this with their boyfriend and they will see their relationship transform.

Favorite Scene:
In the recital of Samantha where Ian came with a bunch of flowers and the charm bracelet (that romantic charm bracelet) and then he gave samantha’s composition to the head of the recital so that sam can sing solo. It is so romantic.

Favorite Quote:
I loved you since I met you, but I wouldn't allow myself to truly feel it until today. I was always thinking ahead, making decisions soaked with fear... Today, because of you... what I learned from you; every choice I made was different and my life has completely changed... and I've learned that if you do that, then you're living your life fully... it doesn't matter if you have five minutes or fifty years. Samantha if not for today, if not for you I would never have known love at all... So thank you for being the person who taught me to love... and to be love.

No comments:

Post a Comment